Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Wascally Wabbits

So, after posting links to the newspaper articles that refer to our church vegetable garden I wonder just what we'll be able to harvest.

The beans we planted came up quickly. The sprouts appeared about a week after we planted them. They pushed up and put out a couple of leaves on each stem. Now more than half of them are just stems, with the leaves stripped off by a rabbit or rabbits in the neighbourhood.

A few years ago they took off the leaves of the pepper plants we planted. I asked an old woman who lived next door (she died a couple of years ago) who always had a beautiful vegetable garden if she ever had trouble with rabbits. She answered, "Oh, you vouldn't believe how many rabbits I've killed over ze years!"

I don't want to start killing anything and I don't want to spend the money on an electric fence so I'll have to do some research into how to discourage the rabbits from destroying our garden.

No comments: