Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Enter Sandman

A parishioner lies dying in the hospital.
I visited with him and his family this morning.
He might die today or tomorrow.
I read Psalm 23, prayed Romans 8.38-39, prayed the Commendation of the Dying.
He said he needed to talk about his funeral service.
I asked what he wanted.
He said "nothing fancy."
I said I don't usually do anything fancy.
I asked if there were any scripture readings or hymns he might want included in the service.
He didn't answer.
His wife asked, "Amazing Grace?"
He shook his head.
"Old Rugged Cross?"
No reply.
"Metallica?"
We all chuckled.

Lord Jesus Christ, deliver your servant from all evil and set him free from every bond, that he may join all your saints in the eternal courts of heaven, where with the Father and the Holy Spirit you live and reign, one God, now and forever. Amen

Enter Sandman.

No comments: