Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Aunt Hetty Died

It's very sad, Jackie Burroughs died today.  The only thing I've ever seen her in is the TV series Road to Avonlea.  When my wife and I were dating, engaged, and just after we were married that show was a Sunday night ritual at her parents' house with her two younger sisters.  Wow, that was 20 years ago!

Hetty King was a crusty character who you couldn't help but love.  The episode when her niece, Sarah, wins a writing contest about why you have the best mother, when she wrote about her Aunt Hetty who was raising her, and won the contest, it made me want to cheer while I had a lump in my throat.

Now we're parents of four kids aged 17, 15, 12, and 8 and we've bought the Road to Avonlea series on DVD and Sunday nights are RTA nights.  It's one of the few shows that all six of us want to watch together, that we'll shut off the Xbox, close the laptop, and turn off the ipod to watch.

We'll always have Aunt Hetty with us, unfortunately Jackie Burroughs isn't.  She died today of stomach cancer.  Lord, now you let your servant go in peace.

No comments: