Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Two books I didn't mention

When I wrote about the books I've read recently I forgot a couple. I've read Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom a couple of times and have seen the movie 3 times over the years. Well, on our camping holiday I read his 2003 book The Five People You Meet in Heaven and his 2006 book For One More Day.

I like what he writes. It's not overtly Christian, probably not Christian at all. But it's spiritual, it makes you think, and while death is behind the subject of all three of those books I find them uplifting. There's good news there.

We read and watched Tuesdays with Morrie in seminary in our Grief Crises and Pastoral Care course (commonly referred to as "Death and Dying"). We also watched the movie as part of the didactic sessions of the CPE unit I was in.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven is an interesting take on what happens after you die. He proposes, in this book, that you meet five people in heaven who help you make sense out of what happened to you during your life. It's kind of neat to think that you might get some answers to questions like "Why did this or that happen to me?" "Did anything I did in life make a difference to someone else?"

For One More Day is about a guy who's given up on life but first spends a day with his mother who has already been dead for 8 years. He realizes how he took her for granted during her life and just what she did for him in his life. That "one more day" is a gift to him that changes the way he lives the rest of his life.

No comments: