Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Lutheran Handbook

I finally did it! I got my hands on The Lutheran Handbook. I ordered copies for myself and the confirmation class (along with Baptized We Live and CEV Bibles). I've been leafing through the handbook today and it's a riot. There are totally serious sections and others that have made me lol.

For instance, the section titled HOW TO BANISH THE DEVIL FROM YOUR PRESENCE gives 7 points:
  1. Laugh out loud.
  2. Make the sign of the cross.
  3. Seek the company of other believers.
  4. Serve those who have less than you.
  5. Confess your sins.
  6. Break wind.
  7. Consider what you might be doing to invite the devil into your life.

Then there's the section HOW TO AVOID GETTING BURNED AT THE STAKE which concludes with

  • If there is no hope of escape, request dry wood and plenty of dry kindling. Green wood burns slower, smokier, and at lower temperatures, causing a more painful death.

The Lutheran Handbook is an Augsburg Fortress publication. ISBN 0-8066-5179-2. I highly recommend it and I've barely read anything in it but it puts some fun back into Christianity, fun that often gets sucked out by serious Christians.

1 comment:

LutherPunk said...

I use that in confirmation class. It is an amazing resource that the kids seem to really connect with. I am not real crazy about the supplemental curriculum, so I have been using my own lessons and adapting them to the readings in the Handbook.